Use Job Search Engines To Capture Your Retiree Job
What are the most popular job search engines to use to get yourself simply hired? Look here to capture those jobs in retirement.
Employers are looking for individuals who meet their defined qualifications so they can provide their products and/or services to make a profit. If you have the skill set that matches their needs, THEY WANT YOU.
One cost effective approach for the employer is the use of job search engines. This is especially true for 8 to 5 type jobs for full time employment. However, you may even find part time jobs for seniors, or those not yet seniors.
According to Consumersearch.com, the top 6 best reviewed sites in January 2009 were:
- Simply Hired (simplyhired.com) - Site aggregates results from major job websites, newspapers, company websites, associations and other online sources. Employers cannot post jobs.
- Yahoo! HotJobs (hotjobs.yahoo.com) - Has popular features like how many times your resume has been viewed and you can block certain companies from viewing your profile.
- Dice.com - Good for positions in Information Technology. Has information on IT certification.
- Monster.com - Largest listing site with over 1.1 million job listings. Offers resume advice and salary information.
- Careerbuilder.com - Site gets listings from major newspaper conglomerates like Tribune, Gannett and McClatchy. They may produce some unique positions, especially in major cities.
- Craigslist.com - Employers can post for free or at minimal cost. It functions like a help wanted section set out by city and state.
"The best time to start thinking about your retirement is before your boss does."
~ Unknown Wise Person
"A career is a job that has gone on too long."
~ Jeff MacNelly
Job Search Shortcut - Job Search Shortcut is unique. It has no fees, no signups, no resume posting, no dead ads and no middle men. It links directly to 20,000 company HR Web pages in 41 metro areas nationwide. Enter the site and in just 3 clicks, you'll be looking at the job listings of a company you have picked.
For your retiree job, you can check out the list of top 10 search engines provided by About.com that include:
- Indeed.com - A meta job search engine that uncovers jobs that you might not normally find.
- USA.gov - US government job listing and resources to help you find jobs in retirement.
- Linkup.com - Site searches for jobs within company websites.
- Simply Hired
- LinkedIn.com - Combines the ability to search the internet for retiree jobs and to network with friends and individual to help in your search.
Several companies have joined the National Employer Team set up under AARP. These companies look favorably on more senior workers. They hire mature workers because they know they bring leadership, experience and skills to the job. In the retail area
, you will find Borders Group, Walgreens, Toys R Us. In Business and Marketing Services
, you find Pitney Bowes, Sitel Corp, AnswerNet Network. For Communications
, AT&T, Comcast, Verizon are members. In the Financial Services area
, you find MetLife, Inc., New York Life, and SunTrust Bank. Staffing and Security Services areas include Adecco, Kelly Services, Manpower, Robert Half International. For the Transportation and Travel area
, you find Avis Budger Group and Schneider National.
Whether you are looking for a retiree job or part time jobs for seniors, you can review the listing of employers put out by AARP that gives the Best Employers for Workers Over 50 for the year 2009.
The list includes:
- Cornell University
- First Horizon National Corporation/li>
- National Institute of Health
- The YMCA of Greater Rochester
- National Rural Electric Cooperative Association
- S.C. Johnson & Sons, Inc.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Stanley Consultants
- Brevard Public Schools
- George Mason University
- City of Glendale, Arizona
- Securian Financial Group
- Dept of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Admin
- Nevada Federal Credit Union
- Pinnacol Assurance
- Oklahoma City University
- Intuitive Research and Technology Corporation
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina
- Delta Quest
- Adecco Group North America
- Commonwealth of Massachusettes--Executive Branch
- Lee County Electric Cooperative
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- The Aerospace Corporation
- Harvard University
- Pepco Holdings, Inc.
- F.E.G.S. Health and Human Services System
- San Antonio Lilghthouse for the Blind
- Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey
- University of Pittsburg
- Solix Inc.
- Avis Budget Car Rental, LLC
- S&T Bank
- Michelin North America
- Corinthian Colleges, Inc.
- FCCI Insurance Group
We hope that this discussion has given you a feel for how the job search engines can help you find the retiree job you want.
- Hanson Professional Services Inc.
- Union Bank
- MEI Technologies, Inc.
- Intel Corporation
- Winston-Salem Industries for the Blind, Inc.
- GA Department of Human Resources
- Express Employment Professionals
- Prestige Services, Inc.
- University of St. Thomas